Computational Fluid Dynamics
Institution: DICAR (UNIPV)
Term: 2nd Semester – Academic Year 2018-2019
Office hours: Wednesday 2-4 PM
The course will give students a basic knowledge of the numerical methods applied to solve problems in the fields of hydraulics and fluid dynamics, learning to apply them with awareness also through the use of dedicated software.
- Equations of fluid mechanics: conservation of mass and momentum; Navier-Stokes equations; Shallow Water equations.
- Discretization methods: i) Finite Differences method: accuracy, stability and numerical diffusion;ii) Finite Volumes method:upwind methods and the Riemann problem.
- Numerical solution of the Navier-Stokes equations: linearisation methods for the convective terms;projection methods for incompressible fluids; treatment of the free surface in Eulerian schemes: the Volume of Fluidmethod.
- Introduction to the numerical solution of the Shallow Water equations.
- Turbulence modeling: turbulent flow theory; Reynolds-Averaged Navier-Stokes equations;turbulent kinetic energy and its dissipation; k-ε method.
- Smoothed Particle Hydrodynamics: kernel approximation and particle approximation; SPH solution of the Navier-Stokes and Shallow Water equations;enforcement of boundary conditions.
Basic knowledge of Hydraulics, Fluid Mechanics and Numerical Analysis